- Continue ReadingOctober 18, 2021What's more satisfying than a good day spent on the boat? Maybe knowing that you've worked on it yourself! DIY work doesn't have to mean slapdash or chintzy. With quality parts, the right tools, and some spare time, you can make improvements you can be proud of. Here are five DIY projects to make your boat better.
- Continue ReadingDecember 27, 2019
Nothing says "relaxation" like a hammock. It's surprisingly easy to make your own, too. No sailor knot skills needed!
- Continue ReadingApril 19, 2019
- Continue ReadingFebruary 22, 2019
When boaters talk speedos, they don't mean the cheeky swimwear (well, not usually). The speedometer enjoys pride of place on a boat's dashboard, and when it goes bad, it's pretty obvious. Finding and fixing the problem can take a little detective work, but it's not difficult.
- Continue ReadingFebruary 08, 2019
Nobody enjoys bad news, especially not from one of the boat's gauges. If you're getting a reading that doesn't seem right (or no reading at all), it's not difficult to figure out the problem.
- Continue ReadingJanuary 11, 2019
With certain parts exposed to the elements, your boat's gauges and their sensors can take a beating. If you suspect that your gauge is not giving you an accurate reading, we have some hints for how to figure out the problem and how to fix it.
- Continue ReadingJuly 13, 2018Save 10% on all boat propellers through July 22, 2018! Before every outing, inspect your propeller(s). You can file out small nicks and burrs yourself, and bent edges can be fixed by carefully straightening them with a pair of crescent wrenches. Serious mangling needs professional attention from your local prop shop.
- Continue ReadingFebruary 23, 2018
We've all been surprised by a summer shower when we're out on the boat. Having a bimini top to pop up can make all the difference when the rain moves in. A good bimini also shields sensitive skin from the sun's strong rays, and provides cool shade in which to relax.
- Continue ReadingOctober 20, 2017
What a beautiful October! The sun has been shining warm and bright here on the shore of Lake Michigan, but we know colder days lie not far ahead. Our thoughts turn to protecting our beautiful, beloved boats, tucking them in for their winter nap after another fun-filled summer. Behind all the warm-and-fuzzy metaphors, however, is some hard work: winterization.
- Continue ReadingOctober 06, 2017
Boat covers and car roofs have a few things in common. They come in a range of colors; they offer protection from the elements; and they seem to be target numero uno for bird poop.