Save 10% on boat deck and floor hatches, escape and ventilation hatches, portlights, and storage boxes through November 25, 2018! How many of us have caught wind of trouble and said, "Batten down the hatches"? We know we have. It's something we say and hear often, but have you ever thought of where the expression comes from?
great lakes skipper
- Continue ReadingNovember 02, 2018
- Continue ReadingJuly 13, 2018Save 10% on all boat propellers through July 22, 2018! Before every outing, inspect your propeller(s). You can file out small nicks and burrs yourself, and bent edges can be fixed by carefully straightening them with a pair of crescent wrenches. Serious mangling needs professional attention from your local prop shop.
- Continue ReadingJune 01, 2018Save 10% off jack plates and motor mounts through June 9, 2018! What the heck is a jack plate, anyway? It's a movable plate that mounts to the transom and lets you raise and lower your boat's outboard motor. Here are a couple of reasons you might want to be able to do that.
- Continue ReadingMay 05, 2018
Selling a boat can be bittersweet. On the one hand, it's exciting to make room for something new, but on the other, your old boat has been a part of many happy memories. Give yourself the best chance at finding your boat a good home with these six tips.
- Continue ReadingApril 20, 2018
- Continue ReadingMarch 23, 2018Save 25% on bimini, camper, and convertible boat tops through March 31, 2018! We don't know about you, but the phrase "bimini top" conjures up a mental picture of a boat sheltered by a piece of women's swimwear. Luckily, the real thing offers a lot more coverage for your boat, and, like the bikini, the bimini's name was inspired by tropical island life.
- Continue ReadingJanuary 26, 2018
We love pontoon boats! They're the perfect platform for fun with family and friends. Sometimes, as we survey our carefully-stacked stock of pontoon logs, we wonder how they're made. Avalon Pontoons has a series of videos showing their manufacturing process, and they're pretty darn cool. All you "How It's Made" junkies out there will love them.
- Continue ReadingOctober 27, 2017
Hallowe'en is a few days away, the leaves are falling fast from the trees, and the gales of November are winding up here on the shore of Lake Michigan. On nights like this, the waxing moon glows in a halo of clouds, and the waves seem to sigh mournfully, as if lamenting the summer that is gone. This weather puts us in the mood for a good ghost story, of which the history of boating has no lack. Help yourself to some hot cider (or a pot of grog, if the fancy takes you) and gather round.